QLD 13-Year-Old Arrest Warrant - Will I be Arrested?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Unknown

21 January 2018
I have a 13-year-old arrest warrant from WA for failing to appear on a driving whilst suspended charge.

My question is, will I be arrested in QLD for this when I appear in court on unrelated offences? Will I be extradited to Western Australia?

Thanks in advance

Clancy

6 April 2016
I don't know? But do you currently hold a drivers license or own any registered motor vehicles at all?

Have you maintained an official residence?

I would have thought a default judgement would already have been made? - licence cancelled, fines applied.

If you don't pay fines they cancel your rego. Have they tried to garnish wages, send debt collectors, sheriff to claim personal property?

If you don't own anything then they cannot harm you, but they can give you community service or prison time.

Unknown

21 January 2018
I don't know? But do you currently hold a drivers license or own any registered motor vehicles at all?

Have you maintained an official residence?

I would have thought a default judgement would already have been made? - licence cancelled, fines applied.

If you don't pay fines they cancel your rego. Have they tried to garnish wages, send debt collectors, sheriff to claim personal property?

If you don't own anything then they cannot harm you, but they can give you community service or prison time.
Yes to all the above.
Just to be clear it is a warrant for fail to appear in court..WA
13 year old warrant.
The offence charge is driving whilst disqualified.
Lived in QLD since.
Will I be arrested in QLD court house by prosecutor.
Is bail an option if so?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Ok, given that you have maintained an official residence and have registration and drivers license, then it is not as if any WA authority would have any trouble to find you at any time if they really wanted to.

You are going to court in QLD for 'unrelated offenses', have they appointed a lawyer for you? There may be court documents you have to fill out that ask standard questions such as "do you have any outstanding warrants?" I don't know if there may be such questions? But if there is, it will be good to have a lawyer to advise you on such matters.

James Dylan

6 January 2018
With the warrant, hand yourself into a police station on the day of your court date. They’ll execute the warrant then and there (if it came through to QLD), and then you can have all the matters heard at once.

But speak to a solicitor to clarify this.