How Do I Know if There is an Arrest Warrant?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KiwiInDubai

20 July 2016
Hi there.

I am a New Zealand citizen who lived in Australia for 26 years and left 4 years, ago due to a relationship breakdown which put me in a lot of debt.

As a young person (19), I broke the law in NSW and was found guilty but no conviction was recorded, as it was my first (and only that I'm aware of) offence.

I returned to NZ recently and applied for a job but my potential employer told me when they checked my references, my ex Australian employer told him that the Australian Tax Office or ATO 'was after me'.

I know I have some unpaid fines, stupid stuff stemming from minor traffic offences. Even though I don't have any plans to return to Australia to live, I want to try and ensure everything is sorted out. I can't stand the feeling that I may have an arrest warrant if I visited Australia again.

I am in a financial position to sort things out, but I don't have enough ID points to do a police check on myself.

Can anyone please help me with opinions and/or put me in touch with a legal adviser that can help me in this situation. (As a client, not looking for a freebie)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

KiwiInDubai

20 July 2016
Well... It tuned out, I had $1030 in fines outstanding. I have just paid them.

Is anyone able to assist me with my other queries, or put me in contact with a lawyer who can?

As I stated, I'm not after a freebie, I just want to get things sorted.

Michael T

9 April 2014