How to access a closed social media account

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vasco

17 August 2019
hello everybody
Thanks for the Forum. I hope I’m not asking a question already covered but I haven’t been able to find the answer is my searches.
How do I obtain legal access to Facebook/social media posts by a closed group probably administered by a hostile neighbour? The background is provided below.
My wife and I have been shunned by neighbours in our street and even around the corner in surrounding streets. Even people we have been friendly with for years try to avoid us in the street. I have suspected for a long time that one particular neighbour is driving this. I had one argument in the street with this person about 4 years ago but have had no other contact with this person before or since and I ignore him.
However, I can’t account for the recent behaviour I observe in the street (blocking my way on the footpath and moving away at the last moment, holding a torchlight on my when I take my bins out at night, and holding the light on me until I go back down the driveway to the rear of my property, watching (as in staring and not looking away). This is very distressing and I’d appreciate any advice you can give.
Thanks
Vasco

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. Get another friendly neighbour to join the group.
2. Ask a relative with a different name to join.

But probably better to ask one of the formerly friendly neighbours what is going on.

Vasco

17 August 2019
1. Get another friendly neighbour to join the group.
2. Ask a relative with a different name to join.

But probably better to ask one of the formerly friendly neighbours what is going on.

Rod thanks for the reply - I haven’t been very clear I can see. Apologies for that.
My question really is, do I have any legal options open to me to stop this?

Vasco

17 August 2019
Thanks Rod.

Sorry I haven’t been very clear at all I can see. My question really is, what legal options do I have, if any, to stop my/ our reputation being blackened like this?
Thanks again.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Defamation is likely your only cause of action. But you need to have the evidence you have been defamed.

It may be possible to seek pre-discovery but doubt you have enough information to convince a judge to allow it.