QLD How to Apply for a Restraining Order?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alidia Cafe

10 March 2017
Hi,

I was wonder if it would be possible to get a restraining order on someone who constantly harasses me on social media, talks to my friends about me in social media and has me fearing about the town I live in because of him? Or do I need more to get a restraining order?

What else could I do to keep him away from me?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Alidia,

To apply for a restraining order which is generally to prevent someone stalking, you need to prove that they are physically stalking you and on two separate occasions.

I'm not aware of that extending to cyber stalking. If you are in fear and you see him physically watching you, contact the police.

Brandon1991

2 May 2018
Hi Alidia,

To apply for a restraining order which is generally to prevent someone stalking, you need to prove that they are physically stalking you and on two separate occasions.

I'm not aware of that extending to cyber stalking. If you are in fear and you see him physically watching you, contact the police.

Hi Lance,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, my question also pertains to gaining a restraining order. The person in question is an ex-boyfriend of my current partner. of the different "Orders" we found a restraining order to be the best match. However with what you are saying above, stalking is only when somebody is physically watching somebody?

My Ex partner has had death threats, multiple Facebook accounts (all new) message her the same things which is inclusive of information gathering and harassment, her tyres slashed, her tyres let down on multiple occasions and he is constantly calling and messaging her.

A Queensland Police Officer has advised she keeps on talking to him and to gain some concrete evidence. I am unsure if this is wise for a long term solution. It seems to be stringing him along and not getting any better.

Would a Restraining Order still be valid for the above situation as we do not have any witnesses or proof to physical stalking but only online and via phone?

Thanks for your time in advance,
Brandon

AllForHer

23 July 2014