VIC How do you decide who have the child on their birthday if it is a swap over day

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stone

9 October 2023
Hi, I have a parenting plan with my ex husband in regards to our two children. We have specified in the plan how to share the children on their birthdays so they can have time with us both. But this time it is on a swap over day, so normally if the child stays at dad I get them after school until 8pm, but this time he stayed with dad until the morning and was suppose to come to me after school. My ex says I can't have him until 8pm does that sounds right?

THis is the wording in the Parenting Orders:
On the children's birthday, if they are not already spending time with the husband:
Fi the birthday falls on a school day, from the conclusion of the school day until 8pm. the the birthday does not fall on a school day, from 10am until 4pm.

Thank you so much,

sammy01

27 September 2015
I think dad's interpretation is right.... If the birthday falls on a school day, from the conclusion of the school day until 8pm....

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I tend to agree with Sammy though I think the orders are poorly worded.

The birthday overrides normal swap over times (ie after school) and now makes it 8 pm because of the birthday.