QLD Can Hotel Refuse to Give Copy of a Signed Document?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
L

Legal Quest

I recently went to a hotel and they required me to sign a contract that stated their terms. Upon signing this I asked for a copy, they refused and told me that this contract was "for their eyes only", I told them that I require a copy of any document I sign, they said "your not getting a copy, we can always cancel your booking and charge you a fee".

I left it alone because I did not want to argue, but is this legal at all under Contract Law or Australian Consumer Law? I thought that any contract was for the eyes of each party?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

I have never heard of a situation where both parties didn't have the right to a contract. I assume this situation is no different.

Reactions: Legal Quest

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
I had the same thing with Westpac bank. They said it was for customer privacy (LOL). Decided not to fight it.

Reactions: Legal Quest
L

Legal Quest

It seems like businesses decide they can just throw our rights out the window these days...I was absolutely shocked to be threatened with a cancellation costs if I didn't "like" it, not to mention even if I had of cancelled they still would have a contract with my signature on it without giving me a copy...lose lose, #poorservice #abuseofmyearights #unethicalbusiness LOL

DennisD

11 July 2014
It feels odd.

That arrangement would make it difficult for you to know and enforce your rights, but equally it would make it difficult for you to comply with your obligations, and it would prevent you from providing a corroborating copy in the event of a dispute. Yet complying with your obligations and legitimizing the document in a dispute would be to the benefit of the company. So maybe clarify with the company what is the actual rationale of their "for our eyes only" policy, I would be interested to hear their response, so please relay it if you follow this up.

Perhaps other contributors have encountered this arrangement before and can add to this.