WA Hotel Rates - Price Mistake?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mungbean

10 September 2014
Several weeks ago I booked and paid for a hotel in Denham (Western Australia), only to receive a email stating that the list price was a mistake with the computer. And that I need to pay a lot more money to stay there.
My question relates to Australian Consumer Law and the fact that the accommodation was confirmed, payments taken and everything accepted, is this a legal contract that should be honoured or do I need to pay the extra to maintain the booking.
Thank you for your support and input.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Mungbean,

I would say there was a contract executed at the original (mistaken) price. Hence, by refusing the give you the room at that price, there may be a breach of action.

However, you'll need ask yourself whether this is a matter worth pursuing. If they are unwilling to offer you the room at the original price and instead, willing to return you the money paid to them, then there does not appear to be much point pursing them for contractual breach, whereby, you would get compensation for any loss incurred by the breach rather than a court order ordering them to give you the room at a lower price.

Especially given they are in Denham, this would not be worth pursuing.

mungbean

10 September 2014
Thanks for that. There was a substantial difference between the advertised price and there normal price, so much so that I cant see them honouring it.

mungbean

10 September 2014
Went on the booking sight again over the weekend and their advertised price hasn't changed, even though they said they fixed the problem.
So now I have another booking in that hotel 7 nights for the price of 1. Be good if they honoured the booking.