NSW Can a travel agent change the price after payment

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michael1983

23 September 2021
I recently was quoted circa $5000 for a trip overseas flights and accommodation for my family. I made the payment on the same day as the quote and before the deadline provided by the agent. However shortly after I made payment the travel agent said the hotel increased the rate by $2000. My response was that this is not my problem as my contact is with the travel agency and the contact is finalised the second I made payment and send remittance. Their own terms and conditions as well as consumer law would agree with me? Am I correct? Given I have paid in full from their quote. If it was $200 I would just wear it but not $2000.

All prices are subject to availability and can be withdrawn or varied without notice. The price is only guaranteed once your booking has been paid for in full by you. Please note that prices quoted are subject to change. Price changes may occur by reason of matters outside our control which increase the cost of the product or service. Such factors include adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please contact your consultant for up-to-date prices.

Deposit and Final Payment (Not applicable to online bookings, which must be paid in full at the time of booking): You will be required to pay a deposit or deposits when booking. Your consultant will advise you of how much that will be. Subject to your rights under the Australian Consumer Law, all deposits are non-refundable for changes of mind or cancellations by you. A deposit will secure your booking/seat, however prices quoted may change if you do not make the final payment by your payment deadline. Some airfares or services must be paid in full at the time of booking.