SA Advertised Cruise Fare Incorrect - Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Elsie Murphy

3 May 2017
I was sent and email by P & O Cruises with a link to their website. I clicked onto the link and found a cruise listed that I was interested in, it was listed as $90 per person, I proceeded to book the cruise and the total due of $179 came up, then when I went to pay the new invoice came up as $2177 owing.

I contacted P & O and the agent also came up with the same screens showing only $179 due but they also could not proceed without the price showing the change to $2177 due. I have spoken to P & O and they have told me that they will not and do not have to honour the advertised price of $90 per person, because as they said it should have been $90 per person per day.

I have taken screen shots of all pages to show what I was seeing and even the agent said she was seeing the same. P & O admit that the advertised price was a mistake made by them. Do they have to honour the price they advertised under Australian Consumer Law?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Elise,

I have been in a very similar situation when booking a cruise. It is my understanding that the cruise line is within their right to correct the pricing prior to sale going through. I mean to be fair a 12-day cruise for 90 per person, you had to know it was a mistake.

If however they continue to have the wrong pricing advertised and fail to correct it after you have advised them (which was the situation in my case) then you can report them for false and misleading advertising. I don't think you have grounds to pursue this. This blog post while not exactly the situation might give you a better understanding:Australian Consumer Law Rights – Incorrect Pricing - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au