Homework Question - Online Course for Bachelor of Law Degree?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hi guys,

I'm looking at obtaining a Australian Bachelor of Law degree.

Due to personal circumstances, I'm not easily able to go into a campus environment and study during the day so I was after advice/recommendation on the best online courses available in Australia.

I'm aware of and leaning towards Deakin's online course, but interested in the views of people who have experience in this area.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Rod,

It may depend on what you are trying to get out of a law degree. If you already have a job or position at a firm and would like the degree to advance your current employment, then Deakin university is a good degree. In fact, a law degree at Deakin's is, in my opinion (and those of my legal friends), the third best university to obtain a law degree in Victoria.

However, if you are not yet in the legal industry and wish to obtain a degree to enter into the field, it may be worthwhile looking into Melbourne or Monash (if you're in Victoria). Melbourne offers JD while Monash offers Bachelors but they may have part time (usually the courses are in the evenings or weekends). This is because I've realised that the prestige of the degree does matter, to some extent, when vying for a position. For example: sometimes, a second-first honours from Melbourne or Monash may be considered in the same pool as a first class honours from Deakin.

Whilst I have no experience in online courses, I hardly attended any of the lectures and only went to mandatory tutorials (there are usually six per subject throughout the semester, so 24 one-hour tutorials altogether, of which you can miss two). Most lectures (if not all) are available online as they are recorded, lecturers welcome questions emailed to them or during office hours and the whole course is usually found in a text book.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Adult Learners (of pretty much anything) have different learning styles.
Some people are suited to self-directed learning, and some are not.
I know it sounds outlandish, but if you are going to put down a hundred grand to study law,
then be sure the way you choose to study will actually work for you - to the extent of maybe even getting yourself assessed first.
I have come across both experiential and observational learners,
who have found the self-directed online/ distance methods to be a push-a-rock-uphill experience.
And on that basis, they haven't all made it.

I certainly agree that Deakin is a good place to study.
Consider also UNE. UWS is also developing some online content, so keep an eye on them too.

Reactions: Tracy B

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Thanks for the replies.

I am not looking to do corporate law or join a large business. Been in the corporate space before and tired of the office politics and inflated egos. Will decide on speciality after I begin the course. Undecided atm between criminal law, family law and employment law.

Will be an interesting experience after a long break without study. You are correct about types of learning and I expect online study to be more challenging for me, however as I still need to earn some money it seems like the way I need to go. If it doesn't work out online I can transfer to daytime later if I rearrange some business activities.

Raju KC

13 March 2015
Hi Guys,

I am looking for an online Bachelor of Law Degree in Melbourne? Need some suggestions. Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
I can recommend Deakin Uni. Good online set-up. Also recommend joining a study group.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
My suggestion is to find legal employment of some kind asap as this will help you obtain a job.
I started off in WA online with ECU then moved into on campus at Murdoch to complete my degree.

Also be wary that there are lots of graduates and not enough jobs - I was lucky to find one 3 months after being admitted.

Jabbour85

16 December 2017
I am preparing to give LSATs the next year (in the states) and I am also studying for my graduation. I have heard about Mobile LSAT Prep Course from a friend and was wondering if you guys had any opinions about the course. Thanks, and happy holidays!

Jemma

27 December 2017
Southern Criss have a great online course but perhaps you could try the associate degree in paralegal studies and then transfer the subject will touch on a unit of your interested fiends then jump on from there.?