NSW Homeless and Unable to Work Because of AVO

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lance

31 October 2015
Just had a chat with Mensline Counselor. Gave me 2 numbers to call for accommodation. Hopefully, I get to sleep proper soon. I will call legal aid tomorrow morning.

Thank you very much for your time and help. I appreciate it. Wish you all well.
Hi Samuel, I'm really glad you called them. Hopefully this is the turn around point. I agree with Sammy and Rod, you really should go talk to your workplace and explain the situation. You might find you have more friends to lean on than you know. Please keep us updated.

Reactions: Samuelshrestha

Samuelshrestha

14 January 2017
There were no accommodations available in those places. And I just had a talk with legal aid at Sutherland. My charges are stalking /intimidation, intent fear, physical harm (domestic), Common assault (dv) T2 and common assault (Dv) T2.

The legal aid said I could face prison time. Now I am scared. I did not do it. Why are they doing this to me?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Samuel,

Don't worry too much just yet. You say you didn't do it, then they surely can't have any evidence to support the claims. It's her word against yours. Do you know if they have anything to support the claims?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Sorry to hear about the accommodation. I remember staying in a freezing cold caravan for 3-4 weeks in the middle of winter during my split. Wasn't fun. It takes time, but it will slowly get better if you work at it.

Keep a diary of events involving the ex and your whereabouts while the legal stuff is being worked through. Keep talking with legal aid. If there is no proof of criminal activity you will not be convicted. But diaries are now important in case you are set up by the ex.

Under no circumstances talk to the ex in any way that contravenes a DVO. If possible always have a witness at your end.

Organise the removal of your property from your old place, possibly have the police present. Stop paying any shared bills. If she is willing to tell lies about criminal behaviour stay away from the ex after you get your property.

And get your job back asap.

Reactions: Lance