NSW Homeless and Unable to Work Because of AVO

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Samuelshrestha

14 January 2017
On Tuesday morning, I told my wife perhaps we should separate and I went to work. At work, 3 cops came and arrested me, saying my wife filed a report against me at Kogarah Police Station.

I was shocked. I never laid my hands on her. They treated me like a criminal in front of my work colleagues and made me take off my belt and shoes in public prior to putting me at the back of that car in a metal box.

They took my picture at the Redfern Station, made me sit on the cell room. AVO says that I cannot go home or I will be arrested. I cannot go to work. I feel like I have lost myself. I do not want to fight. I just want peace. I want her to be happy. I have lost my will to live.

I have been sleeping on the streets of Kogarah for last 4 nights. I ran out of money. I gave everything to her. I have never felt like this before. I never been arrested before. This system is cruel.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Samuel,

You sound like you are in a really bad place. Can I suggest the first thing you do is call lifeline : 13 11 14 – 24 hr Telephone Crisis Support. It might be worth just talking the situation over with someone. On to the legal side you need to speak with legal aid you can contact them on 1300 888 529.

Unfortunately things can get a bit nasty during a break up. do you have someone you can stay with, a friend or family member. It's hard to sort this stuff out when you are fully refreshed so I cant image how hard it I living on the street.

I hope the two numbers I gave you help you get your life back in order.

Samuelshrestha

14 January 2017
Hi Lance,

Thank you for the reply. I do not have anyone here. I am originally from Nepal. I came here on patner visa with her. I have nothing left back in Nepal.

I defended my wife when she started fight with my family in Nepal. Since then I became distant from my family. I will call those numbers tomorrow in the morning. I am giving up.

If my suffering accomplishes her mission, then I will suffer. I thought I was strong, but I feel so weak now. I give up.

Samuelshrestha

14 January 2017
Good morning Lance,

Thank you for your support. Everyone else seems to hate me or against me, even the random people on the streets. Do you think I could talk to a psychiatrist?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Why cant you go to work?

See if the boss can provide some money so you can put yourself in a halfway house. There are also shelters to support homeless men

Reactions: Samuelshrestha

Samuelshrestha

14 January 2017
I cannot forget how I was treated my police at work infront of eveeyone saying I assaulted my wife, which I didnot. I collected the last of commission from work on wednesday it was 400$. I realised I lost my confidence and self respect.

I feel very low. I was very good at what I do. Been in same business for 6 years. But my soul is shattered. I try push myself to make myself believe I can do it but I cannot. I feel very down and depressed. I am looking for jobs at warehouse or kitchen hand where I dont have to talk much to peopl. And where are these shelters?

Appreciate the support very much

sammy01

27 September 2015
Mate, why not go ask for your job back - the people who know you are more likely to be sympathetic...

Have a look at this webpage - it has some phone numbers etc of people / organisations that might help.

Homelessness - City of Sydney

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree with Sammy. Many people understand lies are often told in an AVO in an attempt to use the legal system for their own selfish purposes.

But regardless, call mensline for help.

Reactions: Samuelshrestha

Samuelshrestha

14 January 2017
Just had a chat with Mensline Counselor. Gave me 2 numbers to call for accommodation. Hopefully, I get to sleep proper soon. I will call legal aid tomorrow morning.

Thank you very much for your time and help. I appreciate it. Wish you all well.

Reactions: Lance