NSW AVO against me,

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

markleee

12 March 2020
I live in a small town in dubbo, and had an avo against me made against a female work lady (in dunedoo-100kms away)- she stated not physical, mostly harassment.stalking which i've avoided since i met her. Embarrassed and ashamed of course.
the police emailed me stating for me to collect an avo form from any police station so i plan to go to pick up the forms tomorrow form dubbo station (not dunedoo) but i can call the officer to discuss if i have any questions.

I am very worried that charges may be laid- far enough to call the officer and tell him i will consent to the avo but ask him if there will be charges involved. Is this a good idea? Do you think the officer will be truthful? Should I ask him if i need
to come to make a statement- if he says no that suggestive that charges may not be laid?

I know i shouldnt talk to police without a lawyer present. I can live with the AVO
but if charges are laid that will turn my world upside down (like for most people). It is just making me go paranoid and just depressed thinking about this.

>< ><>< ><
Thankyou

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's not an offence to be on the receiving end of an AVO - you only commit an offence if you breach it.
You're not a crim, yet.

Asking you to attend the police station is either lazy coppering, or
a trick to get you to come in so they can arrest you for something,
without having to put down their donut.

Your only option is strict literal compliance with the terms of the order.
Don't discuss it with the police. Take yourself to see these guys.

markleee

12 March 2020
It's not an offence to be on the receiving end of an AVO - you only commit an offence if you breach it.
You're not a crim, yet.

Asking you to attend the police station is either lazy coppering, or
a trick to get you to come in so they can arrest you for something,
without having to put down their donut.

Your only option is strict literal compliance with the terms of the order.
Don't discuss it with the police. Take yourself to see these guys.

Thank you, the avo date is in 3 weeks , generally will i know if they plan to pursue charges before this ?

markleee

12 March 2020
Also
I was wondering the AVO is taken out against me by the cops, so will she be there at the AVO mention hearing? or just the cop

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Varies. The PINOP usually attends, but doesn't always.
In the meantime, do NOT under any circumstances approach, contact, or have anything to do with her.