NSW Harassment and Threats from Ex - Criminal Law Advice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Karen H

8 April 2014
My ex keeps threatening me. What he's doing is harassment. I've tried to get him to back off, but he won't listen and he's becoming more aggressive and scary. I've called the police once already. Can any of you criminal lawyers out there tell me what I can do under criminal law to stop him? I'm in Sydney.

Kate Z

8 April 2014
You can contact the police and they can apply for an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) against him on your behalf, or you can make an application directly at your local court. You'd have to detail the nature and extent of the harassment to convince the court to grant the AVO. The AVO could restrain him from approaching or harassing you.

Getting an AVO should stop your ex harassing given that the consequences of him disobeying the order can include a prison sentence.

You might like to look at: http://www.lawassist.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au/lawassist/lawassist_avo.html

Paul Q

8 April 2014
Sounds like having the police intervene still hasn't stopped the harassment, so I agree that an AVO might be the best next step to stop your ex. It might be worth seeing a criminal lawyer to help you get an AVO and hopefully solve your issue quickly. Keep a record of any things that he's done or said (including times and dates when they occured) as evidence to support your AVO application.

Jennifer J

14 April 2014
Keep a record of all offensive things he has done all said and contact a criminal lawyer. He will guide you to get an AVO. You need to do it as quickly as possible.