QLD GF moving in/her rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dbs7891

26 June 2017
The age old question and everyone's concern if the relationship breaks down. I've bough my own place and having my gf move in. I'm aware I should put something in writing to protect myself down the track but from what I hear we both need independent legal advice to finalise a formal agreement, is this true?
Alternatively, could I have her sign a lease and she becomes a tenant of my unit, in which I live with her?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I hear we both need independent legal advice to finalise a formal agreement, is this true?

Yes.

could I have her sign a lease and she becomes a tenant of my unit, in which I live with her?

No. If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, you can't call it a lease. Would work if you abstain and have separate rooms, but sort of defeats the purpose of having a g/f.

Protection is going to cost money, probably money well spent if you get a good lawyer. BUT, keep in mind any agreement needs to factor in kids, else if you have kids and there is no mention of them in your agreement then the agreement may be thrown out by a court. It is not easy or cheap getting ~100% protection.