QLD What to Do with Unclaimed Belongings under Property Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lydia

13 November 2014
My GF owed me 10k and she promised that she will pay me when she received her settlement. I have no idea whether her settlement is now finalized as she is avoiding me. She use to live with me and some of her belongings i.e some furniture, clothing, etc. are still in my property. It's been over 12 months and her stuffs are all over my garage and pergola.

I have managed to contact her just a couple of weeks ago, still no money and she promised she is going to arrange to pick her belongings. But now she seems to be in hiding. I want to sell my place and I don't know what to do with her belongings.

Do I have a right to dispose them? Or what steps do I need to do under Property Law to protect myself from any legal obligation? I appreciate your help.

Reactions: Timothy Longmire
S

Sophea

Hi Lydia,

Were you in a landlord - tenant relationship when she was living with you? - There are some provisions that landlords must abide by with repsect to disposal of ex tenants property. You can read about it here if that applies: Abandoned premises fact sheet | Residential Tenancies Authority

Otherwise, I don't know of any specific laws that apply to abandoned property. Generally I think if you give them notice that you are going to dispose of their property - especially if you have give them the notice in writing, keep a copy of it, and prove that they received the notice, then they won't have a leg to stand on if you get rid of it and they come back at some later time asking for their stuff.

Reactions: Timothy Longmire