NSW CoTenant in arrears - and MIA

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ashleigh Kady

6 November 2019
In September this year, I advised my agent that i had to relocate out of sydney and end my lease 8 months early due to work. We agreed in writing that i would find someone to take over the unit until the end of the agreement in June 2010.
I found an individual to move into the unit and had an email agreement that was agreed to by both the Agent and the new tenant that she would takeover the rental payments from 20th September upon me moving out on the 19th.

We both cosigned a new Rental bond application under a co tenancy arrangement (not a break-lease/new lease agreement) and sent to the real estate along with an application form for the tenancy etc. (To cover all bases)

Since the 20th of September the new tenant has failed to pay rent for teh entire duration (49 days so far).

I was in NCAT yesterday, with the Member of Tribunal agreeing that I was not at fault and that the other tenant needs to pay the arrears by the 19th of November and also vacate the apartment. As far as i know she is still there.
She has gone MIA since the 18th of October with no one being able to get in contact with her,

My question is, with the enforcement of the arrears payment and eviction payments ($70per day until the 19th)
ordered to be paid by the 19th of November by the other co tenant - and her being in-contactable, what can i don to protect myself from having to pay for her mistake?

Is there an issue with me contacting her family and friend that she put down as references in her application?
What can i do to make sure she pays the money!?

I have already lost the entire Bond that i paid, as a result of her not paying rent. (She was supposed to transfer the bond to me as guarantee and takeover)

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
My question is, with the enforcement of the arrears payment and eviction payments ($70per day until the 19th)
ordered to be paid by the 19th of November by the other co tenant - and her being in-contactable, what can i don to protect myself from having to pay for her mistake?
The Tribunal has already made orders for the co-tenant to pay, so as far as I can see, the only way you can now be held liable is for the landlord to appeal the Tribunal's decision.