Fired for My Kids Selling Products in Shop?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob81

10 June 2014
Hi, I was let go from work last week for "breach of contract" due to the fact that my two young daughters were in the store with me selling some "loom bracelets" they made. I wasn't thinking at the time and understand it was a mistake to allow them, but they're only young and was just trying to keep them busy. Now the store owner is downloading video from the day and taking statements from all staff present on the day. They made a total of $16 which they gave to the blind society afterwards, but because it occurred at work, does my boss have a right to sue me for theft, etc.? It was an innocent mistake and I'm worried it could grow into something more.

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
What part of your employment contract did your employer say you breached?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Did the shop also sell loom bracelets or similar products?

Reactions: Worldly1

Rob81

10 June 2014
I work(ed) in a retail party goods store. The store does sell the loom kits to make the bracelets, which is where my daughters got the loom bands in the first place, but not the ready made bracelets themselves. They have let me go for breach of contract in that i carried out activities contrary to the best benefit of the business entity....(or something to that effect....sorry I don't have the termination letter on me at the moment). I was the manager on duty at the time, hence I understand that I did do wrong, however I considered the possibility that the ready made loom bracelets made by my daughters may have actually helped drive sales on the loom kits. I'm not after my job back, however for such a seemingly trivial situation, I don't want to end up with a criminal record either.....

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Rob81,
  1. Which state/territory are you based in? There may be a free/low cost employment law advice service that you can contact (for example, Employment Law Services with Legal Aid NSW).
  2. You should carefully review your termination letter. That said, given that breach of contract is a civil (that is, non criminal) matter and assuming you have no previous criminal history, it is highly unlikely that you will end up with a criminal record over $16 of loom bracelets.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated.