Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

SA Father Recently Passed - When is Will Read?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Marie Haynes, 20 January 2016.

1. Marie Haynes

Marie Haynes Active Member

My dad recently passed away (Monday). My sister is his guardian and has power of attorney. There are 3 siblings, we are all to receive equal shares of his belongings.

When does the will get read out and is it to be with all 3 siblings present? Do I have the right to ask to see the will? I was just told it should be done before the funeral? But I have no idea, and who reads it?

2. winston wolf

winston wolf Well-Known Member

Hi Marie

In Australia there is no "reading of the will". That's really just a Hollywood construction for drama( a common question) .
    The executor named in the will should provide you with a copy to you upon request. As a child of the deceased you have a right to a copy of the will.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Marie Haynes likes this.
  3. Marie Haynes

Marie Haynes Active Member

Thank you Winston