VIC Family Law, X partner not taking kids to school

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Darrin Keough

30 July 2019
My X partner and I have 50% shared custody of our two children.

We do week on / week off shared care.

When the children are in her care she often lets them stay home from school while she goes to work,
there is no other person in her home so the kids, (13yrs and 11yrs) are left to their own devices.

I have spoken to the school and they are aware of the situation but if the mother calls and notifies the school that the children are not attending then there is nothing the school can do.

What can I do to ensure they are attending school/

Thanks

Atticus

6 February 2019
If it's happening on a regular basis without reasonable excuse then I would have thought the education dept should get involved somehow if the school principal is showing no interest

Pascal

12 June 2019
My X partner and I have 50% shared custody of our two children.

We do week on / week off shared care.

When the children are in her care she often lets them stay home from school while she goes to work,
there is no other person in her home so the kids, (13yrs and 11yrs) are left to their own devices.

I have spoken to the school and they are aware of the situation but if the mother calls and notifies the school that the children are not attending then there is nothing the school can do.

What can I do to ensure they are attending school/

Thanks
I'm aware if children don't attend school for a long period or miss a lot of school with out reason than it's normally the principals job to call care and protection and they follow up with parents as to why there children are missing out on so much school.