QLD Family Law - Ex Threatening to Get Spousal Maintenance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sarahgk

16 February 2016
My de facto partner and I split recently (after I discovered him cheating). We were together just over 2 years, and now he is threatening me, saying that he can take me for half what I own in property settlement, along with spousal maintenance as I supported him for a period of time while he was unemployed (I earn more than he does).

We don't own property together (we still have a lease together which he is not paying me for since he moved out, he also owes me money for bills). He is currently employed, as am I.

I have a trust fund from before we met (I inherited it), which takes the form of a company (which owns the property, and I am the Director).

I have substantial debt (some of which I incurred while supporting him - he lost his job a couple of times and I supported him until he found work again). I haven't really bought anything substantial while we have been together.

At the moment, he still has the keys to our rented property and I am feeling vulnerable as I have to travel for work. I am not sure what to do under Family Law. He has said he will continue to contribute a small amount to the rent and the bills he incurred while still living here, but I don't trust him.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Two years is not a long relationship, so you can probably expect to each retain what you brought into the relationship.

If he is working, or otherwise can work, he won't get spousal maintenance.

Regarding the living arrangements, you can apply for a restraining order that stops him from attending on the property, or you can tell the real estate you've lost the keys and get the locks changed at your own expense.