Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Family Law Consent Orders - Any Precedents?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Kscib, 9 December 2014.

1. Kscib

Kscib Active Member

Ok, I have a tricky one. I need a precedent I can refer to in my Family Court Application (financial/property orders only) for the following:

In 2004 my estranged husband and I had Consent Orders approved by the Family Court (we weren't divorced). Included in the Consent Orders was that I would be paid a sum of money, which I was. In that same year, with those awarded funds I purchased a block of land in my own name.

Two years later, in 2006 my husband and I (still married) reconciled, and built a house on that block of land and subsequently sold it. Now after a further 8 years he and I are now divorced and are trying to negotiate new Consent Orders.

Is there a precedent that I can site that recognises that block of land (and its worth) purchased during my separation and singledom is my contribution to the relationship, albeit with the same man? I have bank statements and contracts of sale with valid dates to prove my story but if I could site a precedent where this situation had occurred before I think the honourable Court would pay heed...

Thanks in advance...

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kscib

Kscib Active Member

Ouch... So after my reading I'm assuming this is the exact opposite of what I require? Shame.... I really thought I had something there.