QLD Family Law - Can Ex Demand to Move Back in?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Abcdefg

26 November 2016
My ex has not contributed financially towards the home in over 12 months, despite his name being on the mortgage. He moved out 3 months ago with his new love interest and now that relationship has failed, he is demanding on moving back into my spare room.

We have 3 young children together and they're only just settled into a good routine so I don't want to disturb this.

Can he legally move back in without my consent under family law?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yes. So your best bet is either accept it under the condition that a for sale sign goes out the front or offer to buy him out and tell then you can tell him to go away, but you need to make some pretty clear decisions around mortgage payments - either he pays half or you make the decision to stop paying the mortgage at all and start with Russian roulette.

The other option is you move out...

Not nice options....

Ok so final option, tell him he ain't welcome back, and change the locks. The problem here is that the cops won't do much if he breaks the door down because technically it is his door too...

S

Sophea

I agree, technically since his name is on the title. He has equal rights to live in or deal with the property - same as you do.

Reactions: Timnuts

knox

1 December 2016
If the house is in his name, the law will be on his side as well... something you should probably address soon to avoid similar issues in the future.

Reactions: Timnuts