Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

WA Husband Locked Me Out - What are My Rights Under Family Law?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Sian, 1 February 2016.

1. Sian

Sian Member

My ex is currently residing at our family home owned by both of us. Our mortgage is currently in arrears 4 months. He hasn't paid anything since I last paid for it. I moved out in July due to family violence and drug use in those months. I paid the mortgage up until October and since then he hasn't paid anything.

Recently, the house was raided by police and my house has become a storage place for stroll goods. Police have seized the goods. The bank is in the process of repossessing the house. I want to move back in and take over but, unfortunately, I have no cooperation from my ex to get back in the house and he has changed all the locks on me.

What legal rights under Family Law do I have to get him out so I can avoid my house being taken from me?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Legally, if you are a co-owner of the house - I.e. your name is on the title - you have equal rights to go in and change the locks on a house and exclude him from it. He can't prevent you from doing that. However, you can't prevent him from doing the same again. Without his co-operation any negotiations you make with the bank about paying up your mortgage and getting back on track will be off your own back.

If you want to get a share of the money back from your ex - you may have to buy him out of the property - if are in a position to do so - or get family court orders dividing your assets taking into account of the relative amounts you have each paid into the mortgage etc..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sian

Sian Member

Can I move back in even if there is a vro in place?

4. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Are you the beneficiary of the VRO order? i.e. is it taken out against him? And is he still living there?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Sian

Sian Member

Yes I took it out on him and he currently lives there

6. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member