LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

SA Family Law and Property Settlement - Who Moves Out of House?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by steveleom, 21 November 2015.

1. steveleom

steveleom Member

I have a dilemma.

I own a house 50% in my name and 50% in my father's name. I live here with my wife and 2 children. We are currently separated. I have asked her to move out of the home, either with the kids or without, which she refuses to do and, in fact, tells me that I have to move out of the home as she needs to stay here with the kids. She does not want to reconcile. we are currently working through a property settlement which is taking some time

This is creating some stress and arguments, what are my rights under Family Law and what should I do?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Ultimately this will be a matter that will be resolved once you have completed property settlement. I don't know how you are going about this - negotiating through lawyers or applying to the court to divide your assets? Until that time, it is possible to obtain a sole occupancy order. However, these are generally only available in circumstances of domestic violence, etc., where one party requires protection and cannot afford to obtain alternate accommodation.