NSW Family Court - Protocol for Opting to Change Lawyers?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

0riginalA1ias

21 July 2018
Hi.

My matter goes back to family court this week and I've just found out my lawyer is yet to file anything! Is it to late to change lawyers as I'm now really worried about the day with nothing filed.

And If I do go in unrepresented, how do I go about that? Should I email the court and let them know I'm in the process of changing lawyers and I may be unrepresented on the day or is there certain protocol I need to follow for this process?

Nid2498

6 February 2018
I remember the rule about filing is 7 days before court date however I have read some post and even though you file the last day court still accept it. If you have a lawyer I believe you have agreement in place (eg pay them upfront before they start do the work for you?), if you are looking to change (my own experience) you need to notify them that you want to finish with them, sort out the balance that you owe them or they owe you, then collect the files.

Then on your end you need to file Notice of Address for Service to court and send copy to other party to inform them that either you Self rep or has appointed another lawyer.

If I were you I will contact lawyer and ask when will documents file in court, and confirm if you want the person to represent you also.