TAS Release of Confidential Documents before Family Law Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RebeccaF

13 May 2015
Hobart
I have been involved in a lengthy court battle over custody of my 12 year old son. My ex partner failed to return him and cited due to my diagnosed depression he was not returning my son to my care. I am of course fighting this in court and the matter is to go ahead in August.

My ex has filed for Child Support and was not accepted for the time frame he claimed so he has appealed the decision and is requesting back pay of some months he is not entitled to. My issue is that in the process of his dispute with Child Support he released a number of documents that form part of the current family law matter including my initial response affidavit. My ex is a police officer and knows this is not acceptable and actually attempted to withdraw the documents after being told a copy would be sent to me.

What is the process for me to pursue the release of these documents, if any? Do I go to the family law court? I am unrepresented.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Who said that a copy would be sent to you?

If I were you, I'd contact the court registry - they're usually very helpful. Just make sure you have all the information about your family law matter - if you're the other party to the matter, then you should have a right to see the documents lodged in relation to a case involving you.