NSW Ex Invading Private Photos and Video-Sharing - Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Katie free

7 September 2017
I've done some webcamming in the past. An ex has found videos that were recorded and reposted (even though there not meant to be recorded or reposted). He is threatening to send the links to my friends and family.

I'm wanting to know, is there anything I can legally do to stop him from invading my privacy?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unfortunately not really. Though there are laws making it an offence to send certain types of videos, threatening him with a criminal offence may not change what he does and may make it harder to track down who subsequently sent the material/links if he decides to attempt to hide who sent the material.

What does the ex want in return for not sending the links/material? Maybe get him to incriminate himself for extortion/blackmail and then recovery of material through police confiscation.

Alternatively maybe word up the family by saying you did something foolish and to delete anything they may be sent about you.

Reactions: Katie free

Katie free

7 September 2017
Unfortunately not really. Though there are laws making it an offence to send certain types of videos, threatening him with a criminal offence may not change what he does and may make it harder to track down who subsequently sent the material/links if he decides to attempt to hide who sent the material.

What does the ex want in return for not sending the links/material? Maybe get him to incriminate himself for extortion/blackmail and then recovery of material through police confiscation.

Alternatively maybe word up the family by saying you did something foolish and to delete anything they may be sent about you.

Unfortunately, I don't think he wants anything apart from ruining my life

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

As of a couple of weeks ago, actions such as he threatens can be an offence in NSW.
Further, threatening to distribute what the act calls "intimate images" can also found an offence.

That said, you may do better to seek a civil injunction, rather than wait until the criminal horse bolts.
I suggest a conversation with a lawyer at your earliest convenience.

Reactions: Katie free

Katie free

7 September 2017
As of a couple of weeks ago, actions such as he threatens can be an offence in NSW.
Further, threatening to distribute what the act calls "intimate images" can also found an offence.

That said, you may do better to seek a civil injunction, rather than wait until the criminal horse bolts.
I suggest a conversation with a lawyer at your earliest convenience.

Thank you