VIC Personal Adult Photos Shared - Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JolaJola

27 May 2015
Do I have a Defamation Case here? Fresh wife of 4 weeks, takes her husband's mobile phone and finds photos, videos and messages that he has been exchanging with his married lover. The wife calls my husband (I am the lover) and passes every single information to him. Photos taken without consent, videos taken without me knowing, personal messages.

My husband passes everything that he gets to the other members of the family. My parents, grandparents, uncles, aunties and friends. As a result of this action I am separated now, all the family members are on my husbands side, parents have disowned me, friends do not want to know me.
What can I do to take this further. I have no access to the photos and videos as they were taken with my lovers phone camera. My husband does not want to show me anything.

What could my next steps be?

S

Sophea

It is illegal for someone to take a picture or video of you naked or engaged in sexual activities without your knowledge or agreement. In addition, sharing images someone doing something private may be considered defamation as it has the potential to hurts your reputation.

This is a fairly complex matter, I would contact a lawyer to discuss your options.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria