Hi there, we're moving from NSW to QLD. We spent 3 days searching for a rental. One, in particular, was perfect for our needs. Apparently, the decision was between us and another couple. The others won out. As we were approved for another property, we decided to go ahead. RE emailed contracts, etc. We paid bond and rent x 2 that night. 9.30am next morning, other RE called to ask if we're still interested in the ideal property as the other group pulled out. Explained we'd paid bond + 2 weeks on another property but had not signed anything. She advised without signatures, we're not locked in. Great, we thought. Emailed back agent and explained the situation and requested to pull out and refund the bond. She came back at us with a break lease situation, $100 re-advertising fee, $500 break lease fee and rent to be paid until another tenant found. I questioned this as we hadn't signed the lease yet, but she advised that her emailing the contracts to us was locking us into the lease. Is this right under property ? Last time I rented (9 + years ago), nothing was contractual until signatures were obtained. We're now left waiting on the owner to decide to pursue the break lease or let us off. They are taking their time, which is nerve-wracking. 5 days so far. It was literally 13 hours from paying the bond to asking for a refund. The property is still advertised on the internet. Any help appreciated.