QLD Easter Sunday for Full Time - Go to Fair Work?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Scylon

14 January 2015
Question: My Partner is a full time retail employee. She works a 38 hour week, Sunday to Thursday. As you are aware we have just come out of Easter and due to the Sunday holiday her store was closed. She was contacted today via phone (note today is pay day) and informed any one who was usually on a Sunday that week will not be paid unless they take it out of annual leave.

This doesn't seem legal to me and I am considering taking it to Fair Work Australia. But I wanted to ask around 1st.

S

Sophea

Hi Scylon,

Your partner should get paid at least their base pay rate for all hours worked on a public holiday. Check out the fairwork site here. fairwork.gov.au/leave/public-holidays/working-on-public-holidays

It provides more info about awards, enterprise agreements etc.

Scylon

14 January 2015
After doing some digging it appears Sunday in Queensland is not a holiday.

However as she is full time on a 38 hour a week, are they not required to ensure she has 38 hour of work prior to the event? I am told that none of the staff were aware they were not getting paid till after the fact. Also the full time employees were not given other arrangements to make up the hours.