VIC Earnings Divorce

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Moyapepsi

15 July 2020
How do I go about getting disclosure of husbands financial affairs.
He left 2 years ago, said he was working late and couldn’t pick up our son from child care and that was it , he hasn’t been in contact since, just came back some weeks later whilst I was at work and took car and some belongings. At the time I got bombarded with debt collectors and had to move house due to this (we were living in rental) I had no idea finances were so bad , we never had joint accounts etc.
I never pursued with divorce as I felt it was pointless, costly and as he has disappeared it was enough relief, felt like no more dramas and didn’t want to deal with the additional stress.
He has had major arrears in CSA even with wages garnished.

However today I received notification from CSA, arrears have been paid , that his reconciled estimate for last financial year is over 530,000 😮, maybe it was a workers compensation 🤷🏻‍♀️ Embarrassing I knew nothing of his financial affairs and have been married 10 years.
Is there a way I can get finances disclosed without it being to costly , to see if it’s worthwhile paying big legal fees.
Also I am now about to efile for divorce, how does one serve divorce proceedings with covid lockdown or is it not possible to do ?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Is there a way I can get finances disclosed without it being to costly , to see if it’s worthwhile paying big legal fees.
Do you have a case filed with the court? ..... What big legal fees (for what) ?
Also I am now about to efile for divorce, how does one serve divorce proceedings with covid lockdown or is it not possible to do ?
Service by post or hand still ASFAIK >>>>>> How do I serve a divorce? - Federal Circuit Court of Australia

Moyapepsi

15 July 2020
No just about to efile the diy kit for divorce, I expect there are big fees to request courts disclose financial affairs? Apologies in advance I really am clueless ,just trying to keep costs down and do most of the donkey work to reduce legal fees / lawyers fees. I am booking a free consult with lawyer

Atticus

6 February 2019

Moyapepsi

15 July 2020
Thanks very much for your help. I have completed online form for filing, I just have to organise JP signature .
the part I struggle with is how do I find out his financials , do I need to raise a request through courts for that, im in disbelief he earned 530000 last year

how does one earn that much 😆????but CSA say figures are correct. my income is 50000 With 100% care of 11 year old.

Atticus

6 February 2019
the part I struggle with is how do I find out his financials , do I need to raise a request through courts for that,
You don't need to concern yourself with that just for a divorce, only if you file for property settlement .

Moyapepsi

15 July 2020
Thanks , I assumed it was all completed in one hit! I will look into filing for property settlement now.
Much appreciate your help 😀

Reactions: Atticus

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Give our office a call, quote me and no charge for an introductory call.