Drug Possession for Backpacker in Queensland?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ryan121

17 May 2014
Hello, I got caught with 3 tabs of LSD in QLD. The police at the time said it would just be a harsh fine under criminal law. I'm really worried about deportation for possession of illegal drugs. Can anyone set my mind at rest?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Ryan121,
Because LSD is considered a Schedule 1 "hard drug", were you charged with possession under section 9 of the Drugs Misuse Act 1986 (Qld) or another offence?
If you were charged under the Drugs Misuse Act 1986 (Qld), you should consider contacting Legal Aid Queensland (1300 65 11 88 or 07 3238 3444) at your earliest opportunity to better understand the potential penalties involved.
Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, I can set your mind at rest.
But you may not like the answer.

Which is - yes, depending on what kind of visa you have,
and depending on what offence you are eventually convicted of
(ie, what JohnR said above), a conviction can result in your visa being cancelled,
and your being required to leave Australia.

You will do best contact to Immigration and Border Protection for first hand information about how a conviction will affect your particular class of visa.
http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/how-can-i-communicate-with-the-department.aspx

So far as the offence itself is concerned, I don't have enough information to speculate on any possible penalty.

Ryan121

17 May 2014
Yes, I can set your mind at rest.
But you may not like the answer.

Which is - yes, depending on what kind of visa you have,
and depending on what offence you are eventually convicted of
(ie, what JohnR said above), a conviction can result in your visa being cancelled,
and your being required to leave Australia.

You will do best contact to Immigration and Border Protection for first hand information about how a conviction will affect your particular class of visa.
http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/how-can-i-communicate-with-the-department.aspx

So far as the offence itself is concerned, I don't have enough information to speculate on any possible penalty.

Hey guys thanks for the advice and thank you Tim for scaring the bejesus out of me. Court went fine, no mention of Deportation and only have to attend a one day drug diversion session. I can finally get some sleep now!

Reactions: John R