WA Someone I Know Does Drugs - Illegal Not to Report It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
D

Deleted member 28870

Someone I know who is close to me does drugs. Is it considered illegal to be in the same area when they do drugs, i.e.: Weed, Tabs, etc.?

I do not smoke nor do any drugs but I'm concerned about my legality being there as I do support them every day and I understand that I cannot be mad at them for doing drugs, as I need to be accepting and I can only ever give an 'addict' advice to stop but never force them (PS: This is not happening in my home, more in public).

I'm probably going to continue supporting them even if it's illegal but more distant when they do it around me.

I've searched the internet and read the laws and all it says is it's illegal to possess or be under the influence of drugs. Also, if I'm with them whilst they commit a crime (stealing/drugs/bullying) is a bystander who is with them as a friend considered under a criminal group? I know I'm not stitching but is that illegal not telling anyone under criminal law?

Joshbuck

4 November 2019
QLD
It isn’t illegal to not snitch on your friends for theft or doing/having drugs. If you knew they were planning a terrorist attack that would be a completely different matter.

It actually isn’t a crime to be under the influence of illicit substances (unless driving) but definitely a crime to be in possession of, well anything illegal, so don’t ever let them pressure you into holding something illegal.

As long as you aren’t in possession of the drugs, doing the stealing or bullying you’ll be fine. But please consider helping your friends realise how damaging bullying can be and how trashy it looks and if they can’t change maybe consider some nicer friends, trust me nice people are the coolest people.

Well, actually you do have a duty of care to ensure the wellbeing of others.

This basically means you can’t just watch somebody drown if you can save them without risk of harming yourself.

So if the bullying goes too far and there’s nothing stopping you from going to get help to stop them, then you could get into trouble.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
if I'm with them whilst they commit a crime (stealing/drugs/bullying) is a bystander who is with them as a friend considered under a criminal group? I know I'm not stitching but is that illegal not telling anyone?
Criminal group usually relates to 3 or more people. So simply being with 2 other people when a serious offence is committed can get you into a whole heap of trouble.

Furthermore, if you know that someone has committed a serious offence, then depending on the laws in your state, you could face charges if you don't report it. In NSW for example, if you have information that could lead to the apprehension or conviction of another person for a serious indictable offence (an offence with max penalty of 5 years or more) and you don't report it, you can be charged and face 2 years imprisonment yourself.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to make sure that you never put yourself in that situation. A drug addict can only be helped if they want help. If they don't want help, then it would be in your best interests to walk away, but that's up to you. If you hang around people that take drugs, then there's a high probablility that you will become known to Police at some point and from that point on, you will be on their radar. You need to ask yourself if the possible consequences for you are worth the risk for someone who's not willing to change.