QLD Domestic Violence Order - How to Stop Mother-in-Law from Getting Near Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shane Clough

22 March 2016
My wife and I separated two years ago. We have custody of children family court orders for our childre.

At the time of the separation, my wife and my mother-in-law put a domestic violence order out on me which was not an issue. Our exchange place for the children is in the public at Hungry Jack's, which also was not an issue.

The problem is, my mother in-law feels that she is allowed to come to those exchange times with my wife. I have told my wife that her mother is not allowed anywhere near me. My wife has even brought her mother to my residence when my wife has been late to pick up the children. I have repeatedly told them that they are not to do this. I do not want my mother in-law anywhere near me.

So my question is, how can I stop this woman from coming anywhere where I am at with my children?

Thank you

Ponala

10 February 2015
If your wife wants her mother there, I don't think there is much you can do about it.

I don't think you would get a restraining order against her without real grounds of violence, etc.

Unfortunately, just because you don't want her there is not grounds for such.

Your ex might want her mother there for certain reasons.

Shane Clough

22 March 2016
So my understanding is that she has a domestic violence order out on me which means I am to stay away from her, but she can come to my residences or where I am at to pick up my children and say whatever she wants and do whatever she wants.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
A DVO restrains the respondent, not the aggrieved or associates of the aggrieved. If the mother-in-law enters your property, you can ask her to leave, but you can't restrict her movement in a public place. It's also fairly common practice for the aggrieved to bring a witness to a changeover for children shared with the respondent.