NSW Domestic Violence and Jail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kayla

18 February 2015
Me and my partner have a court case in a few days for a domestic violence incident.
He threw my phone against the wall and it bounced and hit me in the head.
I believe that it was not intentional that it hit me.
We have had a few domestic violence issues in the past.
I have asked a few people if he will go to jail for this and received different answers. Please help.

ClareB

4 February 2015
If the police made the application for the AVO, you will need to talk to the police prosecutor about withdrawing the application. You may need to provide written reasons for withdrawing the AVO. If the prosecutor agrees with you, they may apply to the court to withdraw the application.

This of course, is assuming that the police made the application for the AVO.

Otherwise, if you made the application for the AVO yourself, you can ask the court to withdraw your application - again, you may need to provide written reasons.

kayla

18 February 2015
Yes the police made the application for the avo. Thank you for the info. He won't go to jail over this though will he

Do I need a Lawyer

21 January 2015
If it is an avo only then he won't go to gaol as it is a quasi-criminal matter - in fact it is a civil matter really. The only reason he may face custody is if he breaches (or has breached) an avo.