QLD How Many Domestic Violence Orders can You Have?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

maxc

13 July 2015
Hello everyone my question is....how many times can a single person put Domestic Violence Oders on you? Only 2 weeks after my last court appearance for Domestic Violence Order which was struck out again, my ex partner has now put another Domestic Violence Order on me. What can I do? Surely I could take some action in terms of vexatious actions? She has now put a total of 9 Domestic Violence Orders on me in which have all been struck out.

Thank you.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Gee whiz, nine failed attempts at a DVO and counting...

As I understand it, you can apply for a vexatious proceedings order under the Vexatious Proceedings Act 2005 (Qld).

Read here for a bit more information: Vexatious litigants - Queensland Courts

Hope this helps!

maxc

13 July 2015
Gee whiz, nine failed attempts at a DVO and counting...

As I understand it, you can apply for a vexatious proceedings order under the Vexatious Proceedings Act 2005 (Qld).

Read here for a bit more information: Vexatious litigants - Queensland Courts

Hope this helps!
Thank you yes it helps a lot and already looked at that but wasn't sure if I could seeing I'm self represented also she has put in this new dvo the things that have already been dealt with by a magistrate in the past. Can this be possible for her to do this? Also I got served this afternoon at 430pm and the court date is the next day at 9am dirty tactics to get her way but lucky my employer understands so I will be turning up

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
While at the court house ask for the form you need to apply for the declaration of a vexatious litigant. May not be too hard to do.

BTW, can you ask for costs if successful defending the DVO? Maybe seeking costs will discourage this behaviour. Take in the dates and case numbers of all the previous DVOs you won to bolster your claim for costs.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
As a self-represented litigant, it's difficult to get costs awarded because it's hard to determine your actual costs.

But I agree with asking the court for leave to apply for a vexatious proceedings order, and the form to do so.

maxc

13 July 2015
As a self-represented litigant, it's difficult to get costs awarded because it's hard to determine your actual costs.

But I agree with asking the court for leave to apply for a vexatious proceedings order, and the form to do so.
Thank you both I'm off to see a lawyer and get them to spearhead this for me as it's getting really involved now. Thanks again for your help