DOCS Took My 4 Children Away From Me

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

karina

8 June 2014
Hi there, I'm a mum of 4 kids under 6 and DOCS (human services) took them from me because of my health problems like epilepsy, asthma and a blood condition. The judge ruled my kids are to stay in care until they're 18 (custody of children) but I don't think it's right. Could I be able to fight for my youngest child? He is 2 in September, something has to give. There are a lot of people who have medical conditions and still have their kids. If I can't have my 4 children back, could I have my youngest child? And I live by myself.

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'day Karina,
Where are you located? Your local Legal Aid office, community legal centre or Womens' Legal Services Centre might be able to give you some immediate legal advice and practical support.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Just a thought - Legal Aid is not like Medicare.
Not everybody is eligible, and even then, not everybody who is eligible gets a "grant" of Legal Aid.
In this case a referral to the Womens Legal Service is, I suggest, likely to be more helpful.