Separation - Custody of Child - DOCS Involved

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bettywhite

21 July 2014
My partner and I are separated, my daughter is living with her father and I am concerned for her welfare as he has anger management issues. There are currently no formal child custody arrangements (custody of children) in place. Just wondering about any legal consequences of taking her from him and leaving town?? (I am her mother), DOCS (human services) are involved but haven't intervened as of yet.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi @bettywhite

What do you mean by 'DOCS are involved but haven't intervened as of yet'? Is there domestic violence - have a read of the Family Law Courts "Family Violence" page for further information about your rights and what options you might be able to pursue. Ultimately, what's in the best interests of the child is the paramount consideration. See the Family Law Courts "Parenting cases – the best interests of the child" page.

It might be worthwhile to contact your closest Womens Legal Services Centre or community legal centre for personalised legal advice.