Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Disputing Stop Sign Fine from Police

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by ranier, 2 July 2014.

  1. ranier

    ranier Member

    2 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    if police gave me a fine for not stopping at a stop sign but have no proof, can I keep three points and $330? My friend got done at the exact same stop sign so I sincerely believe I had come to a complete stop but still got issued a fine
  2. Owens Lawyers

    Owens Lawyers Well-Known Member

    13 June 2014
    Likes Received:
    Ranier, if you believe that you did not commit the offence and that the police have no proof, then you can elect to have the fine heard in court, and plead not guilty. The police will then need to provide evidence that you did not stop. If you are found not guilty then you won't be fined and won't incur demerit points,

    However, it is likely that the officer who gave you the ticket will give evidence that you did not stop.
  3. Rod

    Rod Well-Known Member

    27 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    If you are going to contest the fine, and you believe you did stop, write down NOW exactly what you did approaching the intersection, weather conditions, time of day, traffic flow, pedestrians you saw etc. As much detail as you can remember and have it witnessed as an affidavit asap. It may help. No guarantees, but better than relying purely on memory in 3 months time when you are in court.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page