Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tlar

14 April 2018
Hi,

I got pulled over at Darwin Airport for not Stopping(I slow down) at a Stop Sign by the AFP. Yes i am at fault. In my defense there was no traffic at all on main road(Darwin airport dead when no flights leave or depart late afternoon).

I was issue with a NT Police Traffic Infringement notice for $120. The AFP where hiding behind a massive sign board and issuing traffic infringement. Would say a very slow day at work?

Interesting is that AFP follow me and hoping I broke speed limit(40-->50-->60kph). Which i did not and then pulled me over OUTSIDE the airport official boundary. So outside federal land. About 1km away from offence location.

I look up and down and everywhere on the NT Traffic Act, or MVR/NT government for traffic penalties or infringement web page with out avail can find anything about fines and points issue to not stopping at stop sign.

Question
Being eager and pissed off, i have already paid the $120 fine. Should i have? and Gone to court and argue my case.

Did AFP make up a that infringement even thought i can't not find NT traffic Act or anywhere else? in a NT police Infringement notice.

Should they have pulled me over inside federal land if the offence was conducted inside airport boundary? The NT traffic Act did say AFP can issue traffic infringement.

AFP shouldn't they be protecting airport and it's boundary from terrorist threat and drug runners instead of issuing traffic infringement and doing RBT? Yes I got pulled over for a full-on of RBT sting at Darwin airport another time, got told off to leaving fog light on when there is no fog and it is a infringe-able offence(is it?)

Thanks for any feedback.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
For the "Stop" sign, you don't have a defense. You are at fault and the fine stands, the only exception is that if you were going to a valid emergency: example: hospital, etc....
If you went to court, you would have most properly paid for the court cost also (I'm in NSW not NT so I don't know if it is the same there),

The AFP is still the police although AF but that does not prevent them from doing police work, this is my understanding, If I'm wrong, please someone write the correct info.

Live and learn!

Tlar

14 April 2018
Thanks Adam for feedback. but

I'm in NSW, not NT so I don't know if it is the same there

In NSW there is a "STOP, GIVE WAY SIGNS/LINES Rule 67 (1) Not stop at stop line - intersection with no lights* - (fine level - 5) $330 3 points.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/demerits-general.pdf - You have it Proscribed physically on the RMS page.

In your NSW Road Rule 2014 Act - Rule 67 (1) - "Maximum 20 Penalty Units"
NSW Legislation

Vic - "Maximum 10 Penalty Unit" - ROAD SAFETY ROAD RULES 2017 - REG 67 Stopping and giving way at a stop sign or stop line at an intersection without traffic lights
QLD - "Maximum 20 Penalty Unit" - https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/pdf/2017-08-25/sl-2009-0194

However in NT, In the NT Traffic regulation - Australian road Rule there Rule 67(1) it only state "Offence provision." It does not stated the penalty or proscribed penalty unit.

Legislation Database

Traffic Offence and penalties pages of the MVR. Not not even stated anything about stop sign or give way.

Traffic offences and penalties - NT.GOV.AU

Also Penalty Unit is $154 in the NT. Which is not $120 which i got fine. So it was not one penalty unit.

What I would like to know is where did they pull out $80 Fine with a $40 levy from? If it is not proscribed anywhere in the NT Traffic ACT or anywhere on the NT police page or MVR Page? This is a NT police issue infringement notice. Not AFP.

That is my question. Are AFP taking NT driver for a ride?

Last edited by a moderator:

Clancy

6 April 2016
It sickens me to hear of police pointlessly wasting time enforcing rules simply because of the rules sake when no risk to anyone has occurred.

And then the argument will be "well what if they disobey a stop sign next time and someone got hurt?" What if a plane crashed on my head, what if the world ended tomorrow, what if what if what if... what ifs never end and don't justify anything. Meanwhile people who actually need police, cannot find them in time.... It has been said to police a million times, and i will say it again, 'go fight real crime' PLEASE!