QLD Disposable of Deceased Brothers Items Debts

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Rob Edwards, 19 June 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rob Edwards

Rob Edwards Member

My Brother passed away recently without a Will He had very little of value apart from a few pieces of furniture and personal items plus a motor vehicle. He had a Debt to a Bank of approximately $13K

He was renting an apartment and we have taken all his belongings to storage.

We figure we would sell what he does to contribute to the cost of his funeral.

As there is no Executor and No Will and the value of my brothers property is just a few thousand dollars, certainly under $10K are we at liberty to sell the items to pay for his funeral?

Who is responsible for my Brother's debt to the Bank?

I think that's all that comes to mind, ThNK YOU

2. AdValorem

AdValorem Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Not you.

Have a chat to the lender - it may be that there was some kind of insurance product attached to the loan.
    Make an appointment with a manager level person in a physical branch.
    No point trying to do this stuff with a third party overseas call centre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rob Edwards

Rob Edwards Member

Thank you for that info Val I appreciate it

5. Rob Edwards

Rob Edwards Member

Actually Tim there was Insurance attached to the Loan but apparently my brother cancelled the insurance a few months ago, which seemed strange the Bank would allow that but it happened