VIC Deportation - Effects on a Child?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Missii

12 October 2014
If one of the parents got deported before their unborn child gets born and the mother doesn't want the child what happens to the child? Can the child go up for adoption Australia?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I know this may seem like a strange question,
but which parent is still in Australia?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Some further questions if I may...

Is the mother at liberty, or is she in immigration detention?

Is she (or has she been) lawfully in Australia all along
(eg a citizen, a permanent resident, or on another class of visa),
or is she (has she been) been here unlawfully
(eg an overstayer, or in breach of her visa conditions)

Are you worried that the father may try and "claim" the baby from overseas?

Does she plan to take the pregnancy to term, or might she end the pregnancy medically?
If she plans to let the pregnancy run it's course, does she plan to surrender the child for adoption in Australia?

Reactions: Worldly1

Missii

12 October 2014
Some further questions if I may...

Is the mother at liberty, or is she in immigration detention?

Is she (or has she been) lawfully in Australia all along
(eg a citizen, a permanent resident, or on another class of visa),
or is she (has she been) been here unlawfully
(eg an overstayer, or in breach of her visa conditions)

Are you worried that the father may try and "claim" the baby from overseas?

Does she plan to take the pregnancy to term, or might she end the pregnancy medically?
If she plans to let the pregnancy run it's course, does she plan to surrender the child for adoption in Australia?
The mother plans on taking the pregnancy to term due to the circumstances she wants to put the child up for adoption. Since the father was identified to the adoption agency he's refusing to cooperate but he's planning to take to the matter to court so he can get the child. He is in Australia illegal. I'm worried about him getting the child altogether weather it's get taken to court or if he try's to claim it from overseas.

Missii

12 October 2014
The mother plans on taking the pregnancy to term due to the circumstances she wants to put the child up for adoption. Since the father was identified to the adoption agency he's refusing to cooperate but he's planning to take to the matter to court so he can get the child. He is in Australia illegal. I'm worried about him getting the child altogether weather it's get taken to court or if he try's to claim it from overseas.
Both the mother and the father are no longer together they have been separated for 8months.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney