What would happen to assets of someone who was deported from Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

danielsam

9 June 2020
Just for curiosity, I would like to ask if a person with dual citizenships had his Australian citizenship revoked and deported to his motherland, what would happen to his assets in Australia? e.g can he sell his properties and bring his money out of Australia?

Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Just for curiosity...
What have you been told, and by whom?

There are relatively few circumstances where citizenship
(as opposed to PR status, or a visa) can be revoked.

Revocation is not a penalty that can be imposed on citizens by birth, or by descent.
Lots of people talk a lot rubbish about that.

In terms of assets, the first task will be work out which of the former citizen's assets are not proceeds of crime.
Anything that's proceeds of crime(s) that cost the offender their citizenship
will almost certainly be forfeited.

danielsam

9 June 2020
What have you been told, and by whom?

There are relatively few circumstances where citizenship
(as opposed to PR status, or a visa) can be revoked.

Revocation is not a penalty that can be imposed on citizens by birth, or by descent.
Lots of people talk a lot rubbish about that.

In terms of assets, the first task will be work out which of the former citizen's assets are not proceeds of crime.
Anything that's proceeds of crime(s) that cost the offender their citizenship
will almost certainly be forfeited.
Hi Tim, thanks for your answer.

I've been told that some lifelong residents in Australia who have dual citizenship may have their Australian citizenship revoked if they are convicted of a crime and sentenced to 12 month of jail. Also, bogus or misleading information in their citizenship or pr application can also lead to citizenship revocation but I'm not sure if this is common or not.

Let's say during the time they live in Australia, all of their assets have been acquired legally, I reckon they should be able to dispose of those assets at their cost and send the money to their home country. Did I miss anything?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney