Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Department of Human Services Child Order?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by MiizzCarmen, 16 April 2015.

  1. MiizzCarmen

    MiizzCarmen Well-Known Member

    24 September 2014
    Likes Received:
    Someone was telling about a Department of Human Services (DHS) court order where both parents still have rights and they can still make major decisions such as the child's school, etc

    My questions are:
    • What type of order is that and where can I find more information?
    • Does DHS have the child in their care?

  2. Tracy B

    Tracy B Well-Known Member

    24 December 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi MiizzCarmen,

    Are you referring to a child protection order? A child protection order encompasses a range of different orders that the court can make when it appears to the court that intervention in parenting is needed. Even if a CPO is made, the court can give parents some room to participate in their child's life. The court may order the child to be in the care of the DHS, but usually, if there is a more appropriate person, such as a relative (e.g. grandparent, aunt) or third party, who would be better suited to look after the child, the DHS will ask court to place the child in that person's care.

    For more information, I suggest you take a look at:
    Does this answer your question?

Share This Page