Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Department of Human Services - Can They Take Custody of Children?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by MissSomeone, 24 August 2015.

  1. MissSomeone

    MissSomeone Well-Known Member

    24 August 2015
    Likes Received:
    December of last year after my daughter was born, the Department of Human Services (DHS) got involved and she was placed in foster care. A few weeks ago I completed a DHS parenting course and me and my daughter were meant to get reunited once the course was finished but never got reunited because I didn't have accommodation for the both of us my daughter went back to foster care and since the parenting program I see her everyday for half a day. I am actively looking for and currently waiting for public housing as well. The last few court hearing were adjourned because I wasn't able to find housing.

    My question: Would there me a time limit for me to find housing until the Department of Human Services decide to change there mind and take full custody of my child?
  2. Victoria S

    Victoria S Well-Known Member

    9 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Foster care is meant to be temporary (see Foster Care - Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia) and I'm not aware of any hard time limits. The Department of Human Services would need very strong grounds and it would be a different process if they then seek to place your child into permanent care.

    Make sure you keep in regular contact with your contacts at the DHS - let me know how you're going and any positive things as well. Then you'll have good open lines of communication about any things you need to do or expectations they have with timing.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page