QLD Defamation - Newspaper Incorrectly Identified Mother's Identity

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jenjen77

26 January 2016
My mother was recently subjected to defamation in the local newspaper. She was recently in court with my brother and his female friend. The next week, the local newspaper posted a picture of her and my brother on the newspaper with the crimes committed and my mother's face was featured, claiming that she was the other person. They used her face and put the crimes up with the other person's name who did the crime. So since then, she has been slandered for doing the crime, however, she was only there for support.

S

Sophea

Hi, what is your question? You can read this for more info on defamation if you wish: Have You Been Defamed? What You Need to Know About Defamation Law in Australia - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au
Defamation - What Is a Concerns Notice? - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

I would write to the Newspaper that published the photograph and let them know that they have defamed your mother as the placement of her picture implies she is the other offender. Request a public apology. If you are seeking compensation, I would speak to a defamation lawyer.