VIC Debt Over Plumbing Work - Criminal Law Matter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JoAnne627

13 November 2016
4 months ago, I had plumbing work done by a friend who, at the time of doing it, owed me $1500. The works being done was to repay that debt. Before finishing the job, we had a falling out.

A week later, he made contact demanding payment of $400 or else. We reminded him of the debt owing to us and he said forget it.

Recently, we were told by a close friend of his that he was going to rip the plumbing work out and low and behold, last night our water was turned off and water pipes cut. Police say it is not a criminal matter but a civil matter.

Is this correct? Can someone damage private property because they claim someone owes them money?

Lance

31 October 2015
First of all that is a pretty low act. The police are saying its a civil matter because of the contract between you. I'm guessing you told the police the relationship you and your ex-friend had and that's why they don't consider it a criminal act.

The ex-friend plumber would obviously claim that he was just recovering the parts / resources he fitted due to non payment. Your best bet might be to pursue this as a small claims matter. You could write him a letter of demand for the original $1500 and see how you go.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi joAnne627,

The police have an obligation to uphold the law (well, criminal law).

I recommend you escalate your problem to the officer in charge of your local police station....but there is a good chance they will also brush you off...if they do, you can also make a formal complaint about police inaction.

I hope this helps

Regards

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Uhhm,

It just occurred to me. The cops might change their excuse from "civil matter" to "no evidence".

Remember, you were advised by someone that the plumber was going to remove pipes. Your statement, the statement from the person who warned you and a statement from the plumber are all evidence...so don't let them say "no evidence" if they haven't done their job to collect that evidence.

Good luck,

Regards,