VIC Debt Collectors Chasing Me for Deceased Brother's Debt?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by SimoneF, 8 November 2018.

1. SimoneF

SimoneF Member

Hi,

I have recently been contacted by a debt collector trying to recover a credit card debt my brother had.
    My brother was not born in Australia. We grew up in Australia, but he moved to Malaysia about 12 years ago, and has lived there since. He did have an Australian bank account and credit card though - this is what I have been informed by the debt collectors.

He passed away several months ago at home in Malaysia, and had no assets to his name. I did find an Australian superannuation account with $400 in it (he worked here for a little bit about 15 years ago) There was no insurance with that (Ausfund)

The debt collection people are telling me that I have to pay the debt myself, or I have to do probate on my brother's deceased estate and declare it bankrupt?

Does that sound right?

Am I really responsible for my brothers credit card bill? And how do you do probate / and bankrupt an estate if the person did not live in the country, and had no assets in the country.

Or is the debt collector being dodgy, and hoping I won't know any better?

2. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

No, and no. You don't have to do any such thing. Not only is it likely that the debt is statue barred because it is so old, but executors/personal representatives are not personally liable for the debts of the estate, and you cannot be required to obtain probate.

If they call you back, I suggest you ask for all their details, take them down and immediately refer them to the ACCC: Report a consumer issue and Consumer Affairs Victoria: General complaint

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SimoneF

SimoneF Member

Thanks very much for your advise Rob. I appreciate it.

I have bookmarked those links in case they call back.

4. Scruff

Scruff Well-Known Member

In addition to what Rob said, if the debt collector has made any threat of enforcement action against you if you don't pay, then their conduct could also constitute blackmail.

To put it simply, they have no legal right to make any demand for money from you at all and being a debt recovery agent, they would have known that the time the demand was made.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...