VIC Datacom - Fixing Pending Charges from 15 Years Ago?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

zaneirth

7 March 2019
Hello all,

I am applying for a job with Datacom who do national security checks/police clearances. Anyway, the last time I had a police clearance was about 6 years ago and I was cleared, no worries.

This time it must have gone a little deeper as apparently, I have something pending in Victoria from 14-15 years ago. I remember getting arrested in Victoria 14/15 years ago for property damage, (stupid stuff you do when you are young ) back when I was 19 or 20. I'm now 34, but nothing came of it. I moved back to SA 3 weeks after.

My housemate in Victoria never contacted me, saying there was a summons or anything. I really want this job, so are there any special procedures I need to do?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
It seems that there must be a warrant for your arrest filed from your non-appearance.
It needs to be dealt with asap otherwise it will always be pending or you could be arrested in Victoria.

zaneirth

7 March 2019
It seems that there must be a warrant for your arrest filed from your non-appearance.
It needs to be dealt with asap otherwise it will always be pending or you could be arrested in Victoria.

Thanks for the reply, would it be best for me to talk to Legal Aid about this?
I'm on Welfare payments and couldn't afford a lawyer at the moment.
Also because i live in SA but the arrest was in VIC i assume i would have to speak to Victorian Legal Aid?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
It can't hurt to talk to them. You need to come to Victoria to deal with this outstanding warrant. It is best to arrange court etc in advance.